Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

So there I was knee deep in Netflix...

It has been said that I am a bastion of useless knowledge.  This is something that has been repeated many times before, it is nothing new to me.  But just the other day I found myself seeking out new and useless information.

There we were Netflix and myself alone on the web, just the two of us.  As I was scanning over the page I was curiously wondering what kinds of jobs Netflix was hiring for, not because I was looking to change jobs but I really wanted to know what jobs they had.  So I clicked on the link and saw a LOT of jobs out in Los Gatos, CA.  Letting my curiosity get the better of me I went to Google maps to see where exactly Los Gatos is located.

I found it just to the South of San Jose.  So I figured why stop there and gave myself a quick orientation to California in general.  This continued until I had illegally into Oregon.  At which point I noticed the swath of population in Eugene/Salem/Portland area of Oregon vs the sheer emptiness found in the rest of the state.

Oregon went by quickly and soon I was knee deep in Washington State's Google Maps areas.  It was a fun opportunity to take a look at Mt. Rainier, which I got to visit in 2009 while I was training at Ft. Lewis.  This was where things turned a little "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie-ish".

While I was looking at the mountain I remembered how cool it was that I could Mt. St. Helens from the peak that we were on.  I also remembered how the guide said that it was VERY unusual to see Mt. St. Helens so clearly from where we were.

Already being logged into Netflix and now having a hungry appetite for all things Volcano related I then decided it would be a great time to watch a documentary about Mt. St. Helens.  And in a click of a mouse I was instantly transformed into an 8 year old.  Mount St. Helens: Back from the Dead was my first victim.  that was merely the milk mustache that made me look in the mirror and reminded me I wanted to cut my hair.  Next was, National Geographic: Volcano: Nature's Inferno, which was even cooler than the first one because it has all sorts of neat shots of Lava shooting up into the air.  My inner 8 year old was VERY appreciative of this film.

Now, while I could have/should have stopped with two back to back documentaries about volcano's I did not. Because while I'm in the midst of watching the films I'm also on wikipedia learning all about these volcano's to include their history.  And so it was while I was learning about Mt. Pinatubo I clicked on the link about Krakatoa.  It was there I saw the words Tsar Bomba when it was talking about the force behind the Krakatoa explosion.....so curiously I clicked on THAT link which only led me further down the rabbit hole.

Once I saw that it was an Atomic bomb....I couldn't stop....had to learn more.  But then the issue was whether or not Netflix had a streaming documentary about the Atomic Bomb....thankfully they did and Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie more than satisfied my urge.

And poof, just like that I had managed to misplace nearly 3 hours of my life with mindless information and knowledge cramming.  I had, however managed to watch a documentary about dogs and learned some neat things.  Such as 80% of dogs that exist today did not exist 130 years ago.  Therefore I am going to beat you all the punch with this and invoke Godwin's law, by simply stating fact....if you own a dog, you support Eugenics and thus you are no better than Hitler and the Nazi's.


Dogo Argentino-If you like this dog, you like Hitler.
(Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment